Friday, May 20, 2016

Rain, rain, go away...

Hanging baskets await Spring at Horton's Nursery and Garden Center in Winchester, VA
April showers bring May flowers. But this year the rains of April have extended into May and the flowers are hanging out in the greenhouse, comparing foliage and gossiping about the garden gnomes in the corner.

The spring of our discontent has taken its toll. Mr. Pettit and I still haven't visited Scoops and Swirls to get our favorite treat, the Wafflicious. (Yes, it is as good as it sounds.) In a fit of optimism we bought some tomato plants about a month ago, thinking we'd shelter them in the garage for a couple of weeks before making them at home in our garden. But the gangly things are still in their pots, tipping over as they wait for a permanent home. I know I should plant them in bigger containers, but that feels like an admission of defeat.

Even as I complain about high temperatures in the 50's and daily drizzle I know that in a couple of months I'll dream of relief from heat and humidity. It occurred to me today that my weather whining is yet another example of my struggle to live in the moment. Today I yearn for summer, in summer I'll yearn for fall and in fall I'll yearn for...nevermind. In fall I'll be content, since it's my favorite season. (However, as October ends I'll probably start dreaming of the first snow of winter.)

I can't imagine what God thinks of my fickle nature, although I know He's not surprised by it; after all, He made me. I hope that eventually I'll appreciate each day for its special graces.

Even if that means eating a Wafflicious under an umbrella.


No comments:

Post a Comment