Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Let Freedom Ring


As I listened to Pandora’s Thumbprint station this morning I was struck by the variety of music I’ve “liked” in recent weeks and months: Latin, Motown, classical and pop. Artists ranging from Marc Anthony to George Winston kept me company as I wrapped up my Independence Day preparations.

The music prompted me to think about this beautiful melting pot I call home. The United States of America is a place where people can unify under one flag and one Constitution, even if we disagree about music or religion or economics.

If only we would.

We live in contentious times. But maybe, just for today, we can set aside our rhetorical weapons and agree to give thanks.

...For all those who sacrificed to make this dream of democracy a reality. Our Founders were not perfect, for they were human as we are. But their vision and genius means I am free to worship as I please and speak as I like, without fear of prosecution.

...For the men and women of our armed forces. Let us give thanks for their families as well, who wait and serve and, God forbid, grieve.

...For this magnificent land, from sea to shining sea. I have visited all 50 states and lived in 10 so I can testify to the breathtaking diversity of our nation. From the Monterey Bay Peninsula to the Smoky Mountains, from the otherworldly beauty of South Dakota’s Badlands to the green velvet of Kauai, the U.S. is a wonder to behold. Venture out. Take it in.

I could go on, but that’s a start. Just for today, let’s think about all that is good and noble and sweet about our country. Perhaps, just for today, we could embody our nation’s motto.

E pluribus unum. Out of many, one.

No comments:

Post a Comment